Saturday & Sunday, July 29 & 30, 10-4. Civil War Event at Newfield.
- 6th of Maine Battery– Re-enactors group that performs the tasks of a artillery battery: loading and firing a Parrot rifle (cannon). The battery will also be camping out for at least two nights, and there will be an encampment and camp life demonstrated.
- A suttler’s tent village will be set up with “civilians” in period dress.
- Minet ball making
- Out door Cooking
- Carousel Rides @ 10:30, 12:30, & 2:30
- The Durgin House, Tom Flagg Smithy (with blacksmith), Durgin Barn, Hands-On History Building ( with cooking), Haying Shed, Schoolhouse, Carriage House, Granary, Print Shop ( the printer will be there), and Trafton House are open.
- Hands-On History For Kids: Medical Triage with bandaging
- Hands-On History For Kids: Make Secret Coding Wheels
- And more…
Bean Supper and Bluegrass on Sat., July 22 at Curran Homestead Village, 373 Fields Pond Rd., Orrington, ME. Under the big tent, rain or shine. The music, Jim Leighton & Friends, starts 3:30. The dinner starts 4:30. You don’t have to like beans as there is sausage and peppers, hot dogs, bratwurst, kielbasa, salads and dessert. There is beer & wine: $5 Large, $3 Small. If you want to donate a bean dish, salad, or dessert we would sure appreciate it! Give us a call ( Give us a shout that you’re coming!) @ 207-745-4426, 207-205-4849.
Our first silent movie festival at the Curran Homestead Village at Fields Pond. Come enjoy soft drinks and homemade pop corn. There will be a handicap accessible porta-potty on site. The viewing will be in the main barn at the farm. Saturday, July 14, 9AM-2PM and Sunday, July 16, 11AM-4PM. Donations welcome, free admission. Recorded music will accompany the features and shorts that include:
The Haunted House (1896)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1912)
Charlie Chaplin’s One AM
Buster Keaton in The General
Buster Keaton in Paleface
Douglas Fairbanks in The Thief of Baghdad
The Enchanted Drawing (1900)
Little Nemo (1911)
Gertie the Dinosaur (1914)
Boy and His Elephant (1913)
Stan Laurel in West of Hot Dog (1924)
Stan Laurel in Dr. Pykle and Mr. Pride
Stan Laurel in Mud and Sand (1922)
Lon Chaney in The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Buster Keaton in The Blacksmith (1922), The Boat (1921), Love Nest, and The Ballonatic (1923)
The Prisoner of Zenda
We may change the list of movies to be played due to technical problems.
July 14-16, Heirloom Silhouette Portraits Done of Your Loved Ones at the Curran Farmhouse
Artist Jean Comerford will be coming from Hardwick, Massachusetts to do hand cut silhouette portraits from life. Schedule an appoint for a sitting now. Call: 207-205-4849. Although we would like that people called in advance and make an appointment we will accept walk-ins. The silhouette portraits will be done at the Curran farmhouse, 372 Fields Pond Rd., Orrington, ME 04474 July 14, 9-3, July 15, 9-3, & July 16, 10-1. This is a traditional form of portraiture that was popular from the late 18th century until the mid 19th century. Galen Jerome Brewer, originally from Brewer, Maine, was an itinerant silhouette portrait artist that travelled New York State and New England producing portraits. Examples of his work are on permanent exhibit in the Maine State Museum. Portraits are $29. Duplicates can be made on site. Framing also available.